[sheepdog-users] Erasure coding and qemu-img

Liu Yuan namei.unix at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 09:58:15 CET 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:47:25AM +0100, Valerio Pachera wrote:
> 2013/10/28 Andrew J. Hobbs <ajhobbs at desu.edu>:
> > There isn't a lot of existing documentation on proper usage of vdi
> > write/read or using vdi backup/restore that I can find at the moment.
>
> http://www.sheepdog-project.org/doc/vdi_read_and_write.html
>
> If you think it's not clear or need more examples, let me know.

Hi, I have make qemu-img redundancy aware now and patch set is queued. If you
want to use it, you can try our temp repo

https://github.com/sheepdog/qemu.git

which contains all the temporarily unqueued patches from Sheepdog project to QEMU.

To use it, e.g,

#convert existing image into erasured image
qemu-img convert -o redundancy=2:3 your-image sheepdog:image

#create a new erasured image
qemu-img create -o redundancy=8:3 sheepdog:new

#create a replicated image as before
qemu-img create -o redundancy=3 sheepdog:new

Thanks