[sheepdog-users] About VDI locking

Valerio Pachera sirio81 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 12:11:30 CET 2014

Hi all,

I was wondering if in the road map of sheepdog there is a vdi locking
function.

I think we spoke about that in the past and I remember that the locking
mechanism would inhibit the live migration.
Live migration requires to run two qemu processes with the same options, so
also using the same vdi.

I guess locking is a complex task and it's incompatibility with live
migration makes it even more complex.

Let me know what you think if, as first step, it was possible to add

--vdi-lock=yes|no

as ./configure parameter when compiling sheep or

sheep [--vdi-lock]

as sheep daemon option.

Obviously sacrificing the live migration feature.

Could that easier the task?