[sheepdog-users] object cache questions

Andrew J. Hobbs ajhobbs at desu.edu
Mon Feb 3 15:29:54 CET 2014

http://lwn.net/Articles/245002/

noatime automatically implies nodiratime.  I'm curious as to what else
might be going on.  Are you running the cache on the same drive as the
sheepdog store?  Also, updating to Qemu 1.7 will support the automatic
reconnect so your VMs don't spontaneously die.

Our production cluster uses ext4 with noatime, user_xattr on 0.7.6 with
Qemu 1.7.  I only run object cache on machines with a SSD (3 of the 6
nodes), and separate from sheepdog data disk. Performance is very good.
I have a dedicated virtual machine for user home directories over nfs,
which hits 50MB/s write, 80MB/s read over gigabit interconnects.

What I definitely recommend is do not use btrfs with sheepdog, the IO
ops per second fall through the floor while writing data.  I'd look to
other potential issues as to why you have nodes dropping out.