[sheepdog-users] I can't get working btrfs compression

Marcin Mirosław marcin at mejor.pl
Mon Jan 20 17:12:58 CET 2014

Hi!
This isn't big problem but I'm wonder why this happens?
I put sheep on btrfs, mounted it with compress-force. Next I did:
$ dog vdi create -P testowy 500M
and I can see:
$ du -hs /mnt/sheep/
505M    /mnt/sheep/
$ df -h /mnt/sheep/
Filesystem               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/system-usun  1.0G  505M  390M  57% /mnt/sheep

Next I'm checking if files are compressible:
# service sheepdog stop
sheepdog               | * Stopping sheepdog ...  [ ok ]
# mv /mnt/sheep/ /tmp/sheep/
# mv /tmp/sheep/ /mnt/sheep/
#  du -hs /mnt/sheep/
505M    /mnt/sheep/
# df -h /mnt/sheep/
Filesystem               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/system-usun  1.0G   18M  879M   2% /mnt/sheep

So files compress very well.
Can be this behavior easy changed to have possibility of using
compression on underlaying filesystem?

Marcin