[sheepdog-users] md unplug, trigger and hold recovery

Valerio Pachera sirio81 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:22:40 CEST 2014

1) I/O error -> Automatic unplug
We all agreed that in this case, sheepdog has to trigger a cluster reweight.

2) Manual unplug
As of now, this trigger a recovery but not a reweight.
I think, in most cases, it's not even necessary to start a recover.
e.g.
    I'm unplugging the disk because I'm going to substitute it "now".
    dog node md unplug /mnt/sheep/2 --hold
    <substitude the disk>
    dog node md plug /mnt/sheep/2
    Now the recovery can start and restore the missing objects on
/mnt/sheep/2.
    In case the disk size is different from the original, I'll trigger a
reweight.

If option '--hold' is not passed, sheepdog uses the default behaviour but
it has absolutely to avoid a disk getting full (as we spoke earlier).

Honestly, I find it difficult to think of a case in which I want to unplug
a disk without replacing it asap and without changing the weight of the
node.