[sheepdog-users] Multiple storage clusters per node

Liu Yuan namei.unix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 16:44:00 CET 2014

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 04:35:15PM +0100, Walid Moghrabi wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I'm definitely found of Sheepdog, this is great and this is exactly what I need and it works extremely well with ProxMox.
> I experimented a lot with a ProxMox cluster running Sheepdog 0.8 and qemu 1.7 in our lab and it is really impressive.

Welcome to become a sheepdog walker :)

> Now, we would like to deploy this solution to replace our beta environment on a brand new 3 nodes ProxMox cluster running on dedicated servers at OVH (a french hosting company).
>

> These nodes are identical and using this local storage layout :
>

> Hardware RAID with LSI Logic MegaRAID controler with 1GB BBU onboard memory.
> On this controler are defines 2 RAID volumes :
> * one RAID1 volume with 2x3TB SATA III mechanical hard drives
> * one RAID0 volume with 2x300GB SATA III Intel S3500 SSD drives
>

> Our will is to create 2 Sheepdog storage clusters on these nodes :
> * one "small but fast" using only SSD drives
> * one "big but slow" using only mechanical SATA drives
>

> We don't want to mix storage types to make on big sheepdog storage, we really want separated servers.
>

> I tried different settings but I can't do that, I always end with one mixed storage even if I run 2 different sheepdog servers binded on different ports or IPs and using different rootdirs, pids, ...
>

> Whatever I try, I'm stuck with one volume only.
>

> So here are my questions :
>

> * Is it possible to have multiple storage instances per nodes ?
> * If so, how ?

Sure. In sheepdog, one daemon actually represent a node. You can run however
much daemons per host.

> For now I'm stuck and I really don't know where to go now :(

It depends on corosync or zookeeper, which act as a membership manamgent software
for sheepdog.

For corosync, you have 1:1 map of corosync to sheep daemon. So you have to setup
2 corosync for two cluster on each node.

For zookeeper, one zk cluster manages a sheepdog cluster. So you have to setup
2 zk clusters to manage different sheepdog clusters.

For stability, we recommend zookeeper, which proves to be more realiable for long
running sheepdog cluster.

Thanks