[sheepdog-users] Multiple storage clusters per node

Liu Yuan namei.unix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 17:45:51 CET 2014

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 05:34:40PM +0100, Walid Moghrabi wrote:
> Thanks for your answer but :
>

> > It depends on corosync or zookeeper, which act as a membership manamgent software
> > for sheepdog.
>
> > For corosync, you have 1:1 map of corosync to sheep daemon. So you have to setup
> > 2 corosync for two cluster on each node.
>
> > For zookeeper, one zk cluster manages a sheepdog cluster. So you have to setup
> > 2 zk clusters to manage different sheepdog clusters.
>
> I tried to install Zookeeper because it would be easier for me than 2 corosync instance (especially because corosync is used and setup by ProxMox and I don't want to play with its setup without extreme caution) but ... the Sheepdog package that is shipped with ProxMox doesn't support Zookeeper as cluster driver as you can see :(
>

> Starting Sheepdog Server : sheepdog-slowInvalid cluster driver 'zookeeper:10.99.0.240:2181'
> Supported drivers: corosync local
> failed!
>

> I'm doomed ...
>

> Do you have any example of setup with 2 corosync instance on the same node ?

No, I am not familiar with corosync. Probably Valerio can give a better answer.

> Regards

I'm so suprised that your distribution didn't have sheepdog support zookeeper
driver, which I think every production cluster should use it.

Valerio from Italy has been running sheepdog with corosync for almost a year
in a production cluster, as far as I know, he met several crashes of corosync
which crashed the sheepdog cluster (fortunately, data are intact). He said to
me would migrate to zookeeper later.

If you buy the commercial service, I think you'd better ask them to package
in the zookeeper driver, which is in fact, very easy to set up and sheepdog
don't need any spectial configuration of zookeeper cluster.

Thanks