[sheepdog-users] runtime requirements?

Liu Yuan namei.unix at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 06:27:30 CET 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 07:18:33PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've long wanted to try sheepdog in a xen cluster - and kept running
> into the requirement to run qemu and KVM, which in turn requires
> hardware virtualization support - which some of the older machines
> in our cluster don't support.

we don't need hardware virtualization at all. We provide volume abstraction
for QEMU. I think you can run sheepdog in dom0 in xen server if QEMU version
is new enough. Even if your QEMU dosn't support sheepdog, you can export volume
by sheepfs then run it as file for QEMU.

> Am I correct in my reading of the documentation for the latest
> version of sheepdog that I can run the iSCSI target and access
> sheepdog block devices, without qemu or KVM?  Or am I missing
> something.

Yes, actually we are developing other interfaces like RESTfult kv storage and
nfs backend.

Thanks