[sheepdog-users] runtime requirements?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Thu Mar 13 15:58:27 CET 2014

*Liu Yuan* namei.unix at gmail.com
<mailto:sheepdog-users%40lists.wpkg.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Bsheepdog-users%5D%20runtime%20requirements%3F&In-Reply-To=%3C20140313052730.GC3925%40ubuntu-precise%3E>wrote

and *Andrew J. Hobbs* ajhobbs at desu.edu
<mailto:sheepdog-users%40lists.wpkg.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Bsheepdog-users%5D%20runtime%20requirements%3F&In-Reply-To=%3C5321BAF0.4040302%40desu.edu%3E>wrote
> No, that's correct.  I also have two nodes out of six that run sheepdog
> as storage units in my cluster.  They don't have virtualization support,
> but they have drives.

Thanks guys.  Looking forward to trying out Sheepdog.

Re. "we don't need hardware virtualization at all. We provide volume
abstraction for QEMU.
I think you can run sheepdog in dom0 in xen server if QEMU version is
new enough:"

I don't understand this at all.  As I understand it, QEMU is used in
three scenarios:
a. provides a software virtualization (emulation platform)
b. provides the device drivers for KVM (which only runs using hardware
virtualization)
c. provides device drivers for Xen, when Xen is running in hardware
virtualization mode

But.. when Xen is running paravirtualized - Qemu isn't involved at all.

Since I'm running Xen paravirtualized (for speed in all cases, and for 2
servers, because they don't have
hardware virtualization available), QEMU based drivers aren't available
- hence my reasons for not
being able to use Sheepdog in the past.

iSCSI solves the problem.  So would NFS.

Thanks!

Miles