[sheepdog-users] Corosync Vs Zookeeper Backends

Liu Yuan namei.unix at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 06:36:12 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:05:03PM +0000, Aydelott, Ryan M. wrote:
> I’m hoping someone can shed some light on some pretty startling performance deltas with different clustering backend in Sheepdog.
>
> We are running a 20 node, 320 spindle (280 for data storage, 40 ssd for meta/os) sheepdog cluster backed with a 40GB/s IB network.

Cool, I've never seen any one trying to run sheepdog over IB.

> In a VM running under Openstack Havana using the root/ephemeral volume driver (https://github.com/devoid/nova/tree/sheepdog-nova-support-havana) we are seeing the following performance characteristics under 0.8.0 sheepdog, test results were obtained using:  iozone -i0 -i1 -t 1 -r 128#k -s 10G (-t 4 for parallel read numbers)
>
> Running with corosync 2.3.3\RDMA replica 3, single VM: 600MB/s on write, with about 132MB/s on read with a maximum read of 520MB/s running four read threads in parallel.
>
> Running  with zookeeper 3.4.5+dfsg-1 replica 3, single VM: 40MB/s on write, with about 40MB/s on read and a maximum read of 90MB/s running four read threads in parallel.
>
> In both cases, multiple write threads had little/no impact on overall write performance.
>
> Note that sheepd is spawned identically in each case, except for the references to each respective cluster backend. Have others experienced similar performance numbers with zookeeper/corosync? Are there any standard zookeeper configuration changes you make out of the box? We are taking the defaults for zookeeper package installation at this time.

Cluster driver (corosync or zookeeper) only manages membership (mainly doing
heartbeat and signaling nodes in/out) and all the IOs (guest to sheep and
inter-sheep, dog to sheep) are all p2p and not involing cluster driver at all.

I don't why you experience such a huge difference because in theory there should
be no difference.

What is startup command for sheep and QEMU in both cases?

Thanks