[sheepdog-users] FYI: setting up a new test cluster

Micha Kersloot micha at kovoks.nl
Fri Oct 3 10:50:35 CEST 2014

Hi,

I probably did something 'wrong' setting up my first cluster, but maybe I can help others with this info.

I started with installing zookeeper and sheepdog on a single node, planning to create a 3 node cluster for testing. I created a VPN between the nodes with tincd for communication. When I started sheepdog on the first node it advertised the external IP address, but I didn't take notice to that. Just to start playing I found out you can create a 3 copie vdi on a single node cluster without problems. Created the vdi and installed a test system on it, great.

Then I tried to expand the cluster to become the 3 node cluster and found out that there was no communication possible because the nodes advertised the external IP address and only could communicate with each other over the VPN which has an internal IP address. So I've found the -b option which let me bind it to only the VPN ip addres (which was not handy because the binding to localhost was also lost), that didn't help. Then I found the -i switch but that didn't seem to work either, not sure why, but soon I found the -y switch and that worked. Now I was able to advertise the correct IP address for the nodes, BUT.. I lost the original VDI from the first node, probably because it was advertised with an IP address that isn't available anymore in the cluster.

As it was a test cluster, I just accepted the fact and formatted the cluster and I'm currently finding out what procedures to follow if problems arise. But it is good to know that it is probably not a good idea to change IP addresses on existing clusters.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Micha Kersloot

Blijf op de hoogte en ontvang de laatste tips over Zimbra/KovoKs Contact:
http://twitter.com/kovoks

KovoKs B.V. is ingeschreven onder KvK nummer: 11033334