[sheepdog-users] node recovery after reboot, virtual machines slow to boot

Hitoshi Mitake mitake.hitoshi at lab.ntt.co.jp
Fri Oct 3 03:30:05 CEST 2014

At Thu, 2 Oct 2014 12:08:11 -0400,
Philip Crotwell wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a small sheepdog cluster and when I reboot a node, for example
> after applying security patches, it takes a long time to recovery
> afterwards. The data volume is not that large,  545Gb, but it takes
> close to an hour to finish the recovery. The problem with this is that
> virtual machines on the node that was rebooted do not themselves boot
> until after the recovery finishes, meaning that for a node reboot that
> takes maybe 2 minutes, I have an hour of downtime for the virtual
> machines. Virsh itself even locks up during the recovery process as
> well, so you can't even do "virsh list".
>
> It seems like qemu/libvirt on the node should continue to function
> during the recovery process by making use of the other nodes that are
> up and functional. Is this possible? Is there any other way to make it
> so the virtual machines can start up before the recovery process is
> finished? Or to reduce the time it takes to do the recovery process?
>
> This is on ubuntu trusty (14.04) so sheepdog 0.7.5-1. Is this is
> improved in 0.8 which will be in 14.10 later this month?

Recovery speed will be improved in 0.9 (it will be released soon). But
your problem would not be related to the speed. VMs should be able to
start even if sheeps execute recovery process. So the above situation
(VMs cannot boot during recovery) is odd.

Could you provide more detailed information about your cluster (e.g. a
number of nodes, disk sizes, other hardware information)?

Thanks,
Hitoshi