[sheepdog-users] Re-joing the cluster doesn't remove orphan objects

Ruoyu liangry at ucweb.com
Mon Sep 22 09:27:58 CEST 2014

Thanks for your discovery.
I think the bug is caused by the logic of recovery. We have to recover
an object from stale directory even if it cannot be found in other nodes.
It is correct because if copies == 1, we really need to find it in the
re-joining node.
Therefore, if a VDI is deleted after a node is left, the node will not
know what happened to the VDI so that it will try to recover all objects
it hold.
To resolve it, maybe we need a mechanism of informing deleted VDI when
sheep is starting. Any suggestion?

Valerio Pachera wrote:

I'm working with 3 nodes.
A node leave the cluster for x time.
Vdi are deleted on the other nodes.
When joining back the cluster, the node doesn't remove the orphan objects.
It does it if metadata is removed before joining.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/sheepdog-project/+bug/1367629