[sheepdog-users] [ANNOUNCE] sheepdog stable release v0.9.3

Glen Aidukas GAidukas at BehaviorMatrix.com
Mon Nov 16 19:16:43 CET 2015

Hitoshi,

Thanks for getting back to me.  A couple of questions:

 - If hyper volumes are for object storage only, then why am I able to create a hyper volume via the dog create vdi command?  Shouldn't this only be possible via http simple storage?
 - When v1.x is out, will there be package support?  I've been having some issues with compiling.

Thanks,

-Glen

-----Original Message-----
From: Hitoshi Mitake [mailto:mitake.hitoshi at gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2015 9:09 PM
To: Glen Aidukas <GAidukas at BehaviorMatrix.com>
Cc: sheepdog-users at lists.wpkg.org
Subject: Re: [sheepdog-users] [ANNOUNCE] sheepdog stable release v0.9.3

Hi Glen,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 1:53 AM, Glen Aidukas <GAidukas at behaviormatrix.com> wrote:
> Hitoshi,
>
> On my test cluster, I had v0.9.0 which was installed by sheepdog-utils.  It tested ok and had the block size shift "-z 23" for vdi up to 8TB but when I installed v0.9.3 over it, I lost this support.

The feature of block size changing isn't backported to v0.9.x yet. I think you tested the feature with the master branch.

> I did see the ability to use the -y option for creating a hyper volume which worked but when I went to delete the hyper vdi it then crashed.  Now if I try to do a dog vdi list I get:
>
> PANIC: Depth of B-tree is out of range(depth: 0) dog exits
> unexpectedly (Aborted).
> dog.c:376: crash_handler
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0xf8cf) [0x7fd375fe58cf]
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x36) [0x7fd375840106]
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(abort+0x147) [0x7fd3758414e7]
> sd_inode.c:765: sd_inode_get_meta_size
> common.c:172: parse_vdi
> vdi.c:305: vdi_list
> dog.c:577: main
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf4)
> [0x7fd37582cb44]
> dog() [0x403d78]
>
> I think I remember you saying that hyper volumes are only for simple web objects and not block vdi's but why would just deleting cause the crash?

Yes, the hypervolume is just for object storage. However, it shouldn't cause the crash. Thanks for your report.

Could you wait for a while the release of v1.0? It will include the block size changing feature.

Thanks,
Hitoshi