[Sheepdog] newbe question about performance and status

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Sat Aug 28 22:40:28 CEST 2010

At Fri, 27 Aug 2010 23:22:02 +0400,
Vasiliy G Tolstov wrote:

> Hello. I'm new with sheepdog. I'm try to compare ceph and sheepdog. Does
> anybody do this comparison? What benefits of sheepdog in compare of
> ceph?

I have not ever seen any performance comparison of them.  If you are
trying to compare their performance, your input would be welcome and
greatly appreciated.

From the functional view point,
 - Sheepdog supports cloning of the volumes (writable snapshot), but
   Ceph is not.
 - All the Sheepdog servers have a same role (we call this feature
   fully symmetric), but Ceph servers are grouped into three; mon
   servers, mds servers and osd servers.  I think this feature makes
   cluster management easy.
 - Sheepdog has no configuration about cluster membership, but Ceph
   requires ceph.conf in which cluster members are described.
 - Ceph can be used as a general file system, but Sheepdog can be used
   only from a qemu block driver.

> When the sheepdog can support live migration?

I'd like to support it in qemu 0.14 (in Dec 2010 ?).

> How much servers i need (minimal) to support failover?

Two servers.  Run sheep daemons on two machines and format cluster
with --copies=2 option, then you can use Sheepdog as something like
DRBD.