[Sheepdog] Performance of sheepdog

Piavlo piavka at cs.bgu.ac.il
Thu Jan 7 10:58:22 CET 2010

Piavlo wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> PCextreme B.V. - Wido den Hollander wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been following sheepdog's mailinglist ever since i saw a newspost
>> on www.linux-kvm.com, but what kept me wondering was the performance.
>>

> I have not done any performance testing yet, mainly since the sheepdog
> patched kvm does not work for me.
> So currently I can only test image creation performance.
>
> But if disk performance is  important for you probably need to separate
> the host running the KVM VMs completely
> from the VMs image storage device (like done with iSCSI or AOE but not
> DRBD) since otherwise the KVM host will probably be throttled
> by random disk access generated by your VMs (unless you have just a few
> VMs) plus occasional overhead while new images are being created.
>
> AFAIU with current sheepdog  implementation the KVM host MUST be part of
> the sheepdog storage cluster.
> So it would be nice if sheepdog client and sheepdog server could be run
> on different hosts - currently one can overcome this
> limitation by keeping the btrfs system not on local disk but on
> iSCSI/AOE or any other SAN device.
> But addition of another SAN technology complicates the overall solution
> and reduces stability.

On a second thought using using KVM host as iSCSI initiator for
underlying btrfs device, while
the  iSCSI target is exported from properly tuned ZFS for the workload
on Opensolaris on a host with a lots of RAM
would probably give you much better performance than a separated
sheepdog server on the same host instead of Opensolaris with ZFS.