[Sheepdog] Performance of sheepdog

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Thu Jan 7 19:35:48 CET 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 5:14 AM, PCextreme B.V. - Wido den Hollander
<wido at pcextreme.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been following sheepdog's mailinglist ever since i saw a newspost
> on www.linux-kvm.com, but what kept me wondering was the performance.
>
> At the moment i don't have 3 servers with SMX/VMX to spare for testing
> sheepdog, so i haven't been able to test sheepdog jet.
>
> At the company i work we use a lot of KVM, our redundant storage is
> build on top of iSCSI and DRBD. The performance is great (IOps), so
> that's not an issue, but the waste of hardware is (Master/Slave setup).
>
> The question that kept me busy was, how is the performance of sheepdog?
> Yes, i understand that sheepdog and btrfs are still under heavy
> development, but in this stage, how is it performing?

In the current stage, the performance of sheepdog is not so good
because availability and reliability are current priority and we
don't tune performance yet.

But I think sheepdog will show a good performance in the
environment with a lot of VMs. It is because distributed storage
can handle I/O requests in parallel.

I'll show the some results of performance evaluation after a few
weeks.

> Since sheepdog really seems THE solution for building a real cloud with
> KVM.
>
> I'll keep following sheepdog closely and try to set-up a test
> envirioment asap!

Thanks!

--
Kazutaka Morita