[Sheepdog] TODO items and release plan

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Wed Jul 7 18:41:33 CEST 2010

Hi all,

These are TODO items which are shown up on this list.  If there are
something I miss, please inform me.

generic items
-------------
 * add more documentations for users
 * add more documentations for developers
 * add testing tools to avoid regression
 * output better debug and error messages
 - support architectures other than X86_64, i386

sheep
-----
 * update VDI objects atomically
 * handle connection timeout
 * scalability upto several hundreds nodes
 * better data re-balancing
 * remove data objects which are no longer used
 - provide different redundancy levels for each VDI
 - handle total node failure
 - handle network partition failure
 - remove limitation of the number of VMs on the same host
 - support VMs running outside the cluster
 - better load balancing, performance

collie
------
 * provide a machine parsable format option
 * provide a manual recovery command from the total node failure
 - show differences between VDIs to backup efficiently

qemu block driver
-----------------
 * support live migration
     We have a live migration patch against the old qemu tree in
     http://sheepdog.git.sf.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=sheepdog/qemu;h=refs/heads/live-migration
 * support snapshot deletion
 - support a variable object size
 - support shrinking image size

The ones marked with '*' are short-term goals (within this year) and
the ones with '-' are long-term goals (in next years).  I'm planning
of releasing a stable version after we finish all the short-term TODO
items.