[Sheepdog] changing program names (collie and shepherd)

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Fri May 7 14:26:37 CEST 2010

Hi all.

I'm planning to send sheepdog patch to the qemu mailing list next
week, so this may be a good time to reconsider the program names,
collie and shepherd.  I wonder these names are not fit our prject
name.  The reason why I named this project sheepdog is that
distributed system controls machine nodes like sheepdog controls
sheeps.

Currently,

sheepdog daemon     : collie
sheepdog admin tool : shepherd

Collie is sheepdog, and shepherd is a job name to take care of sheep.
Sheepdog daemon is running on each node, so in this case, there are
many sheepdogs and one shepherd in the cluster.  But, if we take into
account our project name, there should be many sheeps and one
sheepdog?

For example,

daemon             : sheep
administration tool: collie