[Sheepdog] Sheep, with no local storage?

Robert Terhaar rterhaar at atlanticdynamic.com
Sun Oct 3 22:14:29 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I emailed with Kazutaka off-list about this- duplicating here.

Is it required to run a local sheep storage in order to use the sheepdog
qemu block driver? It seems that 'localhost:7000' is hard-coded into the top
of sheepdog.c in the qemu source.

In order words, how can I tell qemu to talk to a specific IP, instead of
localhost:7000? Is this even a good idea? Is it possible to run 'sheep' on a
dedicated KVM host without allocating any local storage to sheepdog?

--Kazutaka responded:

... you can run vms outside the cluster by specifying hostname and port to
the vdiname (this is an experimental feature).

Try
 $ qemu sheepdog:[hostname]:[port]:[vdiname]