[Sheepdog] A question about sheepdog's beahvior ...

Davide Casale casale at shorr-kan.com
Tue Oct 26 12:39:06 CEST 2010

Hi to all,
I've installed Sheepdog Daemon, version 0.1.0 (with corosync 1.2.0 svn
rev. 2637) on ubuntu 10.04LTS..
The corosync.conf file is (for the useful part) :
---
compatibility: whitetank
totem {
         version: 2
         secauth: off
         threads: 0
         token: 3000
         consensus: 5000
         interface {
                 ringnumber: 0
                 bindnetaddr: 192.168.7.x
                 mcastaddr: 226.94.1.1
                 mcastport: 5405
         }
}
---
I've installed all on three machines with default redundancy (that's 3,
it's correct? I launch sheepdog with default /etc/init.d/sheepdog start)..
I've got 20GB of kvm virtual machines ..

The questions are :

- is it correct that if a single node crash (or I stop with "killall
sheep" the sheepdog processes) when I relaunch sheepdog ALL the data
are rebuilt from scratch from the other two nodes (each time it restarts
from zero bytes to arrive to 20GB) ?
I thought that only the changed blocks (4mb each) are resyncronized .... ??

- is it correct that when the syncronization is running on a node, all
the others are frozen (and also the kvm virtual machines are frozen)
until the syncronization is completed ?

And perhaps this is a little bug:
if during the syncronization I launch on the node in syncronization the
command 'collie node info', the command remain in standby after
the first output.. if I stop it with CTRL+C, when the syncronization
ended one of the sheep process crash and if I relaunch sheepdog the
sycnronization starts again from the beginning (from zero bytes) ...

thank you in advance for any answer,
regards,
davide

--