[Sheepdog] Deleting snapshots

Floris Bos bos at je-eigen-domein.nl
Sun Oct 3 23:09:34 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Sunday, October 03, 2010 05:55:02 pm you wrote:
> Yes.  Sheepdog makes the current vdi read-only (snapshot vdi), and
> creates a new vdi as a writable one (main vdi).

> > Is there any option I can use to tell sheepdog not to promote the new
> > snapshot as main VDI?
>
> Currently, no.  However, I think it would be better to reserve 0 as a
> snap_id of the latest vdi (main vdi).  In this case, taking snapshots
> doesn't change a snapshot id of the latest vdi.  The id is fixed to
> zero always.  Is this the behavior you want?

That might work.

Basically what I need is a new read-only snapshot for use by my client, and no
changes to the current VDI.
After all, the current vdi may be in use by qemu, and qemu is totally unaware
of the snapshot I'm taking with my external program.

So the original VDI ID must stay writable, as there is no way to signal qemu
that it should start using another id.

--
Yours sincerely,

Floris Bos