[Sheepdog] handling network disconnections?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Sep 7 16:30:12 CEST 2010

How does sheepdog handle network disconnections?

Assuming I have a virtual machine with data copies on two sheepdog nodes
- what would happen if:

1) virtual machine is unable to connect to one sheepdog node for 1
minute; after that, connectivity is back,

2) virtual machine is unable to connect to all sheepdog nodes for 1
minute; after that, connectivity is back,

3) we have connectivity problems like above, but longer (say 5 minutes,
15 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours).

Think as typical maintenance (replacing switches, cabling) or operator
error.

What would happen to the virtual machine? Would it just wait for IO and
continue to work as connectivity is back? Or, perhaps, would it see its
disk is gone (lots of IO errors in dmesg etc.)?

I would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on handling failures
like this.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org