[Sheepdog] How to use Sheepdog as network storage?

luc_rom at yahoo.com luc_rom at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 21:52:30 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm new to this list and I'm sorry if this question was already answered, but I'm testing Sheepdog as a backend storage and I didn't find a way yet to use it as network storage.
Our plan is to have compute nodes running KVM that would use the Sheepdog cluster for space, basically the same setup as presented on page 22 of this presentation: http://www.osrg.net/sheepdog/_static/kvmforum2010.pdf

In my test lab I have three Sheepdog nodes configured and I was able to create a qemu image that was distributed across all three nodes (using the "qemu-img create sheepdog:imagenew -o
preallocation=data 100G"), Then I used the patched tgt to present it to a KVM client as iSCSI target, but the problem is that if the Sheepdog node that I use a iSCSI target crashes, the KVM client has to rediscover the target from another Sheepdog node, which is a lengthy manual process.

Thank you very much for help,
George