[Sheepdog] Config for dedicated storage network and NIC bonding?

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Wed Jul 27 20:10:39 CEST 2011

Hi,

At Wed, 27 Jul 2011 12:58:49 +0100,
Matthew Law wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to setup sheepdog on 3 hosts.  Each host has several ethernet
> NICs and we have a dedicated storage switch available so I would like to
> bond 2 NICs on each host (using 802.3ad LACP) and dedicate those to
> storage traffic and have the VM traffic go out over a separate network
> interface.
>
> Some questions:
>
> How is sheepdog configured to use a separate storage network to that which
> is used for accessing the VMs?  Is this just in the corosync config?

Yes.  Specify the ip address on the bonded interface to
totem.interface.bindnetaddr in corosync.conf.

> Can sheepdog work with LACP and will there be any increase in throughput
> over a single NIC? (even if not, I would like to have some failover)

It should work, but I'm not sure whether it increases throughput.  It
depends on your environment.  If your disk is a bottleneck, you
wouldn't see any improvement.

> I have seen mention of Sheepdog support in OpenStack.  Is this available now?

Yes.  You can use Sheepdog from nova-volume in OpenStack.