[Sheepdog] Increase performance

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Tue Jun 7 16:29:39 CEST 2011

On 06/07/2011 01:09 AM, Federico Sgobbi wrote:
> No checksum operation needed?
> Encrypt/Decrypt for network tranfers security?

If you wanted to encrypt/decrypt, the best choice would be the AES-NI
processor extensions standard created in 2008.  Unfortunately I believe
this hasn't been merged in either openssl or libnss.  Last I checked
sheepdog doesn't AES encrypt data blocks.

Unfortunately the big performance killer in network communication that
is not consistent is the need to sign data blocks (hmac SHA2 is very
expensive) and there are no processor extensions for any of that.

ATM there is no encryption/signing at all, so best place to start would
be to implement that feature.

Regards
-steve