[Sheepdog] how can i mount linux host on Sheepdog device?

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Mon May 16 11:28:13 CEST 2011

At Mon, 16 May 2011 15:20:55 +0900,
igoigo246 wrote:

> For example
>
> qemu-img create sheepdog:Device 10G OK.
>
> But I want to Pararel Distributed Block Device.
>
> SheepDog are two possibilities that qemu-img and pararel distributed
> blocking device.
>
> Please make linux client for SheepDog.

Currently, there is no direct support for any client other than QEMU,
but there are some means to export Sheepdog volumes using more general
protocols.

 - iSCSI
   1. Apply a patch to support data preallocation:
      http://lists.wpkg.org/pipermail/sheepdog/2010-October/000706.html

   2. Create a image with data preallocation.
      $ qemu-img create sheepdog:image -o preallocation=data 1G

   3. Install iSCSI target daemon (tgt) with Sheepdog support
      $ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tomo/tgt.git -b sheepdog
      $ cd tgt
      $ make
      # make install

   4. Setup tgt
      # tgtd
      # tgtadm --op new --mode target --tid 1 --lld iscsi -T iqn.2001-04.com.example:storage.sr.rose.sys1.xyz
      # tgtadm --op new --mode logicalunit --tid 1 --lun 1 -b image --bstype sheepdog

   See also http://www.mail-archive.com/sheepdog@lists.wpkg.org/msg00679.html

 - NBD
   1. Create a Sheepdog image
      $ qemu-img create sheepdog:image 4G

   2. Start qemu-nbd on the one of Sheepdog servers
      $ qemu-nbd sheepdog:image

   The image is exported on port 10809