[Sheepdog] Cluster appears down but nodes report different epochs

Shawn Moore smmoore at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 15:34:29 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 9:44 PM, MORITA Kazutaka
<morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> At Tue, 8 Nov 2011 10:56:51 -0500,
> Shawn Moore wrote:
>>
>> > Probably, we need to add support for using different NICs for data
>> > I/Os and monitoring.
>>
>> We currently have 4 1Gb nics bonded together using mode 4
>> (LACP/802.3ad).  On another note, I am still doing more testing, but
>> it almost looks like the TOTAL cluster speed might be limited to 1Gb
>> instead of up to 4Gb (I know I can't get that much in truth though,
>> but should be higher than 1Gb).  Does anyone have any insight into
>> this?  We are using enterprise grade switches with two cards (18Gb/s
>> fabric).
>
> How did you measure the total cluster speed?  Could your disks be a
> bottleneck?

What I have been doing is using pssh (parallel ssh) to kick off a
script on all nodes at the same time to create a pre-allocated vdi of
the same size.  Then obtain the time it takes for the operation to
complete on each node and then do some math.  Below is the script and
an example of the data obtained.  I did go ahead a re-run my tests
with tmpfs instead of true ext4 disks.  This did yield quite a
performance boost, but seems it actually should have been faster given
the usage of ram for the disks.

T_START="$(date +%s)"
collie vdi create test_$(uname -n) ${1}G -P
T_STOP="$(date +%s)"
expr ${T_STOP} - ${T_START}

This is a run using the disks.  This created 9 3GB vdi's.  With copies
3, that created 27GB worth of vdi data and 81GB worth of total cluster
data.  Total cluster speed of 1.46Gb/s.
152	416	sec
153	462	sec
154	394	sec
155	435	sec
156	451	sec
157	483	sec
159	459	sec
160	406	sec
161	486	sec
VDI SIZE	3
COPIES	3
TOT sec	3992
AVG sec	443.5555556
27	GB
27648	MB
62.33266533	MB/s
81	GB
82944	MB
186.997996	MB/s
1495.983968	Mb/s
1.460921844	Gb/s

This is a run using tmpfs.  This created 9 3GB vdi's.  With copies 3,
that created 27GB worth of vdi data and 81GB worth of total cluster
data. Total cluster speed of 5.73Gb/s.
152	80	sec
153	119	sec
154	127	sec