[Sheepdog] Some setattr/getattr strangeness

Chris Webb chris at arachsys.com
Wed Oct 12 17:07:41 CEST 2011

MORITA Kazutaka <morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp> writes:

> Chris Webb wrote:
> > I'm guessing that what's really going on here is that the setattr
> > operation happens asynchronously and hasn't finished by the time the
> > command exits and we do the getattr?
>
> Sorry, I couldn't reproduce this.  "collie vdi setattr" should be a
> synchronous operation.  Were there node membership changes (node
> join/left) during vdi attribute operations?

Hi. No, there weren't node changes, but I think there may have been multiple
attempts to claim the lock with setattr -x at the same time. (All but the
first are supposed to fail, of course.) This is definitely atomic in the
correct way isn't it?

I'll try to cook up a short recipe that reproduces the symptoms in a line of
shell rather than going through our whole management system!

Cheers,

Chris.