[Sheepdog] questions from a newbie

Wenhao Xu xuwenhao2008 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 01:45:06 CEST 2011

Hi folks,

I just started looking at the sheepdog project. I really like what you are
doing here and would like to contribute code in the near future. After
reading the slides from kvm forum, I have the following questions:
1. How to determine the id for an object? E.g. for a data object inside a
VDI, how to give it an ID?
2. What is the relationship between vdi object and inode? How to locate
them? Are they also located by using consistency hashing?
3. Can each vdi volume have its own replication factor?
4. How is the user_xattr is used? Why it is required by sheepdog?
5. Corosync uses multicast to do communications. However, in data center,
multicast may be disabled on the switch/router. Is it easy to replace
corosync with another engine to manage the node membership, e.g. zookeeper?
I would be very happy to contribute on this part.

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Wenhao
~_~