[sheepdog] new sheep crashes after adding to an existing custer

Jens WEBER jweber at tek2b.org
Tue Aug 7 21:23:44 CEST 2012

Situation: Two Nodes A and B. A is zone 1 and B is zone 2. 2 copies. NOHALT option.

I start with A 1x sheep as disc node and add B 5x sheep, 1x as gateway-only and 4x as disc node

Now I want to reorganize A like B. I kill node on A and reconfigure A, all data deleted on A.

On A only the gateway-only sheep starts all other starts and crashes when joining cluster. After trying all kind of thinks the following was the solution:

  1. delete all data on A
  2. create directories and copy only the config file from B to A into each directory
  3. disable recover
  4. start all sheeps on A and they don't crashes - supie
  5. check cluster recover info - all ok
  6. enable recover - ok, recovery starts

Any Idea? I will retry this situation in a test setup later and give you more details.

Thanks, Jens