[sheepdog] Converting config file

Leo Antunes costela at debian.org
Sun Aug 12 13:37:00 CEST 2012

On 12/08/12 12:44, Jens WEBER wrote:
>> I really wonder if we need to introduce several versions of config
>> file for the next release.
>>
> there is only one version of config
>
> the other versions are currently out there
>
> if we introduce a new version of config the old ones need to be converted to the new version. this can be done by script like simple2farm or by the sheep daemon it self. Patch Converting config lets sheep do the job.
>
> for converting of config we need the knowledge about the old versions in the one way or another. if we say to update from 0.4.x to 0.5.x you need first to update to 0.5.0 then we can drop old versions of 0.4.x in 0.5.1.
>
> that is what I mean with "we keep this for converting config till version <= v0.5.0"

Just to add a different voice to the argument: from distro's perspective
(in our case Debian), this would be really helpful. At the very least it
provides a sure way to detect the need for manual intervention upon
upgrades, if automatic conversion turns out to be impossible for some
reason.

Disclaimer: I'm not even the one "officially" packaging sheepdog for
Debian (though I do plan to help)

Cheers

--
Leo "costela" Antunes