[Sheepdog] [PACH, RFC] sheep: use atomic for the vnode_info refcount outside the main thread

Liu Yuan namei.unix at gmail.com
Tue May 8 10:12:56 CEST 2012

On 05/08/2012 04:05 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

>> Fuse support async reads by using threads to send requests from read(),
>> > so sheepfs which export sheepfs volume as a file make use of this
>> > feature too and thus will get a high concurrent read requests in
>> > sheepfs_read() for volume. Every read() need a socket fd to transport
>> > data between the file and the sheep storage. I am planing to implement a
>> > socket pool to accelerate this process. So I want to implement this
>> > socket pool no top of a lock-free data structure.
> That would be in a different daemon from "sheep", right? (Sorry, didn't
> have time to read through The sheepfs patches yet).

Yes, I am going to implement it as a standalone daemon.

> Using RCU in a different daemon architecture is completely fine for me.
> Using the urcu lib atomic in the sheep daemon if is also very welcome by
> me if it doesn't drag the actual rcu implementation in.

Yes, those atomic operation is completely inline function in the header,
doesn't have any thing to do with the actual RCU stuff. I can submit a
patch to only check the header existence for sheep deamon if you are
fine with it, then we can move on without interfering each other.

Thanks,
Yuan