[sheepdog] Exit status of node recovery

Hitoshi Mitake mitake.hitoshi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 03:47:54 CEST 2013

At Fri, 23 Aug 2013 17:53:02 +0200,
Valerio Pachera wrote:

> Hi, I'm wondering if it could be good to have an exit status different
> from 0 when there's a recovery running.
>
> I wish to monitor if cluster is doing a recovery in nagios/icinga or
> another application.
>
> To get this info I have to "parse" the output of 'node recovery'
> instead of the exit status.
>
>   lines=$(dog vdi recovery | wc -l)
>   if [ lines -ne 2 ]; then
>       echo "recovery is running"
>   fi
>
> Instead of
>
>   dog vdi recovery > /dev/null
>   if [ $? -eq 1 ]; then
>       echo "recovery is running"
>   fi
>
> What do you think?

I think using 1 for indicating recovery state cannot be
implemented. Because 1 is used for expressing failure of command
execution. But other value which is not used in include/exits.h can be
used for this purpose (e.g. 6).

I agree with your proposal. But I'd like to hear opinions from other
users and developers. Because this would be an important change which
breaks existing wrappers of dog.

Thanks,
Hitoshi