[sheepdog] Why Sheepdog is talking more CPU ?

ankit bhardwaj ankitbhrdwj27 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 00:40:44 CEST 2015

I am new to Sheepdog. Though I have gained enough knowledge to deploy and
use sheepdog for qemu-kvm VMs. I tried to benchmark Sheepdog and found that:

1. Sheepdog's Maximum Read/Write Speed is around 70-80% compared to local
storage. That too when the condition are in favour of sheepdog. Example:
Full copy of data on same node and Reading or writing sequential Data etc.

2. When using VM disk image to boot VM from Sheepdog storage, some extra
system activities increase the load on the CPU from 30-40%.

Can you please tell me,:
Why the speed is slow, even if all the data is on the same machine ?
What activity in sheepdog is eating up my processor cycles ?

Sorry for the loosely described experiments and results.