[sheepdog] Is sheepdog still actively maintained?

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 06:29:00 CET 2019

Hello,

Sheepdog is not maintained now.  There is no plan to add new features,
and the repository is kept only for users who are using sheepdog in
production currently.

> Any suggestions on alternatives?  I'd say ceph is a primary one, but sheepdog seemed to be 'lighter weight'.

I'm a bit interested in keeping sheepdog as a tiny implementation of
distributed block storage so that we can use it for evaluation
purposes.  Since we don't have enough resources for maintenance, we
have to remove some of the current sheepdog features and make
implementation as simple as possible.  For example:
 - Remove object cache feature. We can create a block-level cache
outside of sheepdog with bcache or dm-cache.
 - Remove hyper volume feature. We can create a huge block device on
top of sheepdog volumes with LVM.
 - Remove object storage feature. It's out of scope of distributed
block storage and there is more stable software like OpenStack Swift.
 - Remove experimental feature like NFS or Linux block device support.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks

Kazutaka