[Stgt-devel] Re: SCSI Target framework configuration

FUJITA Tomonori tomof at acm.org
Mon Aug 22 17:43:51 CEST 2005

From: Mike Christie <michaelc at cs.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: SCSI Target framework configuration
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:27:39 -0500

> > I think we should export attributes through sysfs, and leave actual
> > handling of the commands and complex configuration bits to netlink.
> > Having different attributes for different drivers doesn't sound like
> > a problem.
>
> So, Fujita we can do something similar to scsi_transport_iscsi.c for the
> transport specific bits then. For driver specific things we should look
> at scsi-ml's way to add host and device attributes I think.
>
> Do you want me to at least get the ioctl and procfs (session file only
> for now since LU suff should be stgt attributes like how scsi-ml does
> scsi_device attributes) stuff replaced with sysfs and nelinks? From
> there we can move the netlink processing out of the iscsi target transport
> class to its final destination.

Really sorry for novice questions again.

How do 'iscsi_target_class' (similar to scsi_transport_iscsi.c) and
'scsi_target_class' work together?

scsi_target_class can handle LU stuff, which are common for all target
drivers (FC and iSCSI at present).

iscsi_target_class can handle connections (iSCSI specific) and sessions
and targets, which some of thier informations are protocol specific.

My first impression is that stgt.c has 'struct scsi_target_internal'
like 'struct iscsi_internal' and stgt_iscsi.c and stgt_fc.c have
protocol specific functions (e.g., exporting attributes). That is,
target drivers call scsi_target_register (similar to
iscsi_register_transport) and use helper functions in stgt_iscsi.c or
stgt_fc.c to simplify their implementations.