Ang: Re: [Stgt-devel] Re: [Iscsitarget-devel] stgt a new version of iscsi target?

James Bottomley James.Bottomley at SteelEye.com
Thu Dec 8 20:48:10 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 13:10 -0600, Mike Christie wrote:
> cleanup. In the end some of the scsi people liked the idea of throwing
> the non-read/write command to userspace and to do this we just decided
> to start over but I have been cutting and pasting your code and cleaning
> it up as I add more stuff.

To be honest, I'd like to see all command processing at user level
(including read/write ... for block devices, it shouldn't be that
inefficient, since you're merely going to say remap an area from one
device to another; as long as no data transformation ever occurs, the
user never touches the data and it all remains in the kernel page
cache).

My ideal for the kernel based infrastructure is a simple tap for
transporting commands addressed to devices upwards (and the responses
downwards).  Then everyone can have their own user space processing
implementation that I don't have to care about.

James