[Stgt-devel] outstanding patches and moving the scsi in stgt

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Mon Sep 5 06:26:48 CEST 2005

From: FUJITA Tomonori <tomof at acm.org>
Subject: Re: [Stgt-devel] outstanding patches and moving the scsi in stgt
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 13:14:02 +0900

> > So I would like to move the stgt core and stgt_vsd/sd scsi code to a
> > type of personality or protocal handling module. This personality
> > module can then be overidden so that a NBD or AOE target driver can
> > use its own personality module. It would basically make stgt a
> > block_target (blk_tgt) framework.
>
> It sounds good, though I've not read a NBD or AOE target driver (I'll
> see them later).

I found one AOE server implementation.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=130453&package_id=143790

It is not for production use. It can handle only a single file. The
configuration is not dynamically changeable.

The code of 659 lines works in user space. The block_target framework
can be very useful for it if we also provide a clean user-space
framework that we talked about in the past, though I'm not sure how
many people want it.

I found a kernel-space NBD server implementation, however, it's too
old (not for 2.6.X).

A user-space NBD server is the code of about 1000 lines. It seems that
the configuration is not dynamically changeable. So the block_target
framework can be very useful again.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nbd