[Stgt-devel] stgt & IBM virtual SCSI Target Driver

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Sun Sep 11 16:36:51 CEST 2005

From: Ming Zhang <mingz at ele.uri.edu>
Subject: Re: [Stgt-devel] stgt & IBM virtual SCSI Target Driver
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 09:39:18 -0400

> > > there are mpt, qla. maybe we use IETTGT to indicate it is originated
> > > from iet?
> >
> > This implementation is a new project. It is a fork of IET. I think
> > that calling two different implementations a same name causes
> > unnecessary confusion (e.g. sfnet and open-iscsi).
>
> my understanding is when tgt get matured, IET will be merged here soon.
> iet always wants to have a better layer split and now tgt comes. so iet
> of course will follow this path. i do not think we need to maintain 2
> open source iscsi software target code.

It's not about only using the tgt framework. There are many other
issues.

Hopefully, the tgt framework will be merged into mainline. After that,
I'll rewrite the large portion of IET. The iSCSI target implementation
for tgt will be completely different from IET.

If I successfully make the new iSCSI implementation as stable as the
current IET code, I'll stop maintaining IET.