[Stgt-devel] Re: [Iscsitarget-devel] write performance examples ?

ming.zhang.china at gmail.com ming.zhang.china at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 16:20:00 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 23:04 +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> From: "ming.zhang.china at gmail.com" <ming.zhang.china at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Stgt-devel] Re: [Iscsitarget-devel] write performance	examples ?
> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:40:29 -0400
>
> > On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 13:55 +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> > > From: "ming.zhang.china at gmail.com" <ming.zhang.china at gmail.com>
> > > Subject: Re: [Iscsitarget-devel] write performance examples ?
> > > Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 21:44:55 -0400

> > > Yes and No. As I said, Ardis can also directly work on page cache
> > > without using mmap.
> > >
> > > stgt performs I/O operations in user space unlike the
> > > others. Comparing it with the others does not make sense. You need to
> > > read IET/Ardis/stgt code to understand the details.
> >
> > from users point of view, both stgt and iet provide a networked storage
> > service (stgt can provide more). just like people can compare NFS,
> > SAMBA, FTP performance with same HW, and choose the best one base on
> > feature and performance, why people can not compare same protocol and
> > different implementation solutions?
>
> Of course, you can compare the performances by running them. But you
> cannot compare (or understand) the designs with simple sentences such
> as 'stgt can directly work on page cache because it uses mmap
> interface?'.

of course, design issues can not be easily found via simple black box
performance test.

also if that simple sentence is incomplete or wrong, you can list the
difference between them if u want.

for every iet user, they want to know why development on iet is slow
down. and when they know the main focus is switched to stgt, they want
to know when, why, and how to move to stgt, you can not expect every one
to read the code right?