[Stgt-devel] User-mode iSER

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori
Tue Aug 1 04:37:03 CEST 2006

From: Tom Tucker <tom at opengridcomputing.com>
Subject: [Stgt-devel] User-mode iSER
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:05:23 -0500

> Tomo:
>
> I heard a rumor that moving even more of the iSER target design into
> user mode was considered at the OLS. I think this is a very interesting
> idea and would like to know what you and others think of this in general
> and if there are any specific issues that people think make this
> difficult.

Yeah, we thought about that.

It's still not clear that tgt iSCSI target driver (*1) is accepted to
mainline. We can use lots of parts of open-iscsi code for it, however,
you can say that iSCSI target software can be implemented in user
space.

Mike said that returning from vacation, he clean up and submit the
iSCSI target driver to scsi-ml for discussion.

If we fail to put it into mainline, I'll implement iscsi target
software in user space, which uses tgt user-space code (SCSI
processing, management, etc). So, is it possible that we integrate
iSER into user-space iSCSI target software?

*1) the iSCSI (tcp) target driver for tgt (which partially works)

svn+ssh://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/stgt/trunk/istgt