[Stgt-devel] uSpace Transport Patch

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori
Thu Aug 31 16:42:07 CEST 2006

From: Tom Tucker <tom at opengridcomputing.com>
Subject: Re: [Stgt-devel] uSpace Transport Patch
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:42:29 -0500

> > so I like to ask one more question, RNIC support
> > in mainline. After the big discussion last month, what's the current
> > state?
>
> The iWARP stuff has been submitted to Roland for review and
> subsequent inclusion in 2.6.19. At this point, things look very
> positive since the bulk of the code has already been seen and the
> core changes are relatively minor and there is only a single device
> driver (AMSO1100).
>
> The one other change we needed (netevents) has already been submitted
> to netdev and has been accepted by Dave Miller. So things are looking
> good there too.

Great!

> In the meantime, I have a set of git patches to 2.6.17.y that I
> maintain. We also maintain this code as the iWARP branch in the
> OpenFabric's SVN repository.  I would recommend that we use stacked
> git on a git tree hosted by kernel.org for the kernel components. I
> can provide and maintain iWARP patches against this tree until iWARP
> support is mainline in 2.6.19. I guess we could continue to use svn
> for the user-mode components, but I don't have a strong opinion there.

I like to move user-space code to a git tree too, however, I need to
mature it a bit before that. I don't want to use git, svn, and hg (for
Xen) everyday. ;)

By the way, now the main trunk includes the user-space iSCSI target
driver (the old kernel-mode code was moved under the branches
directory).

svn://svn.berlios.de/stgt/trunk

I've just done only read performance tests with open-iscsi's default
params and disktest. There is no performance difference between IET
and the new user-mode driver. It's far from completion. However,
surely AIO enables tgt to provide the comparable performance.