[Stgt-devel] stgt backing store & SSC

Ming Zhang blackmagic02881
Fri Aug 3 03:19:14 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 11:07 +1000, Mark Harvey wrote:
> On 8/3/07, Ming Zhang <blackmagic02881 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yep. The SSC metadata (header for each tape block) contains a
> > > structure with a 'block type' , size of original data & size of data
> > > stored.
> > >
> > > All accounted for. Just no code for compression or encryption - as yet..
> > >
> > > enum {
> > >         BLK_NOOP,
> > >         BLK_UNCOMPRESS_DATA,
> > >         BLK_COMPRESSED_DATA,
> > >         BLK_ENCRYPTED_DATA,
> > >         BLK_FILEMARK,
> > >         BLK_BOT,
> > >         BLK_EOD,
> > > };
> >
> > are these bits? can i have multiple bits set like compressed before
> > encryption? also leave room for data deduplication for example storing a
> > token. ;)
> >

> Arr.. no.
>
> Good catch.
>
> I'll re-do it so they are bits.

thx. bit might now be good enough as well. ;)

> Re: Data deduplication
> I was thinking a separate 'cache' file will be required and 'hashed'
> some way for this.
>
> I can not really see any advantage of storing a fixed deduplication
> method in the SSC block header.

dedup is just another compression method. even with compression u can
have different algorithms and with encryption u have different
algorithms or ways or all these just kinds of data transformation.

just need a type to mark what kind of data transformation it uses and
each transform provide a pluggable way to fetch/store data.

for example like de-dup. u can store a token here and then when need to
read this data, u check the header to see if overread or under read
because of the block size issue. (forgot how SSC call these...:-()

then with token u can contact another data service to find data and
return.

so once u define the infrastructure, these can be added later...