[Stgt-devel] Inconsistency in usage of scsi_id and iscsi_sn?

Mark Harvey markh794
Wed Aug 15 22:49:40 CEST 2007

Hi Albert,

The 'scsi_id' is used to set SCSI Inquiry Vital Product Data (VPD) Page
0x83 - Device Identification.
The 'scsi_sn' is used to set SCSI Inquiry VPD Page 0x80 - Unit Serial
Number.
The 'vendor_id' is used to set the Vendor Identification in the standard
INQUIRY data (IBM, Quantum etc)
The 'product_id' is used to set the Product Identification in the
standard INQUIRY data (Device model - SDLT600 etc)
The 'product_rev' is used to set the Product Revision (firmware) version
in the standard INQUIRY data.

The spc module is currently identifying the data in 'T10 vendor ID"
format which the 'sg_inq' was attempting to interpret and decode.
Note: Earlier releases of sg_inq did not attempt to interpret the
information.

I have update the spc code to return data in "Vendor Unique" format and
will submit a patch later.

VPD Page 0x83 is not used by most user-space utilities

The SCSI Inquiry command requires further work to expand the sort of
information that can be returned by different logical units.

Cheers
Mark