[Stgt-devel] iSER patches, third release

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori
Tue Dec 11 05:54:52 CET 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:03:25 -0500
Pete Wyckoff <pw at osc.edu> wrote:

> This is the third major release of support for iSCSI Extensions
> for RDMA (iSER) to the existing TGT user space SCSI target.  It
> uses OpenFabrics libraries and kernel drivers to act as a SCSI
> target over RDMA-capable devices.  The code has been tested
> against the existing Linux iSER initiator over InfiniBand cards,
> but should be specification compliant and work generally.

Excellent.

> 1 iser docs - just doc/
>
> 2 iser task transport data - need private data in struct task,
>     could merge as is, or let iscsi transport do allocation as
>     with connection struct.
>
> 3 iser rounding - removed "if (conn->tp->rdma)" approach, now uses
>     "conn->tp->data_padding".  Also deleted some roundup()s that
>     were unnecessary in both cases.
>
> 4 iser params - new parameters for iSER straight from spec docs.  No
>     ifdef on ISCSI_RDMA, we let initiator say if it wants RDMA or
>     not.
>
> 5 iser iscsid changes - five little "if (conn->tp->rdma)" changes,
>     all necessary due to protocol differences and different event
>     handler
>
> 6 iser core - add iscsi/iscsi_rdma.c and hooks to use it

Except for the second patch, the rest looks ready for the inclusion I
think. The changes to iscsid.c in the 5th patch looks a bit hacky but
it's fine with me for now.

> I'll look at what causes these performance changes and try out some
> more recent kernels.  But I wanted to get the patches to people so
> as not to hold up any other work.  Would love to see some more
> scientific numbers from people, and help figuring out where the time
> is going.

Yeah, we can work on the performance issues later on.