[Stgt-devel] [Ips] Calculating the VA in iSER header

Pete Wyckoff pw
Wed Apr 16 16:48:30 CEST 2008

dorfman.eli at gmail.com wrote on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:22 +0300:
> According to Mike's explanation below it seems that we have a bug in
> iSER initiator.
> Fixing this bug will require a fix in the stgt iSER code.
>
> The problem is that the initiator send a VA which already includes an
> offset for the unsolicited data (which is wrong).
> In iser_initiator.c::iser_prepare_write_cmd the code looks like this:
> hdr->write_va   = cpu_to_be64(regd_buf->reg.va + unsol_sz);
>
> we think that it should be modified to:
> hdr->write_va   = cpu_to_be64(regd_buf->reg.va);
>
> Let's discuss this and verify we interpret the spec correctly.
> If agreed we will send a patch.

Agree with the interpretation of the spec, and it's probably a bit
clearer that way too.  But we have working initiators and targets
that do it the "wrong" way.

The transition involved in fixing both sides will lead to problems.
How does a target detect an unfixed initiator and vice versa?  A
mismatched pair will lead to data corruption.

We could address this in a few ways:

1. Flag day: all initiators and targets change at the same time.
Will see data corruption if someone unluckily runs one or the other
using old non-fixed code.

2. Rewrite the IB Annex to codify what's done in practice, and don't
"fix" any code.

3. Start using the Hello messages and extend them to specify if the
VA marks the start of the buffer or the unsol offset.

I really don't look forward to the bug reports we'll get from a
flag da approach.  Old linux versions tend to hang around for a
very long time, and people are often reluctant to upgrade.

		-- Pete