[Stgt-devel] tape drive not supported yet?

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori
Thu Jul 17 06:57:30 CEST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:51:38 +0900
FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:40:21 +0200
> Albert Pauw <albert.pauw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Tried to set up a tape drive target:
> >
> > LUN=$(($LUN+1))
> > ID=Tape
> > SN=54321
> > tgtadm --lld iscsi --op new --mode logicalunit --tid $TID --lun $LUN \
> > --device-type tape
> >
> > Unfortunately, tgtadm tells me:
> >
> > tgtadm: type emulation isn't supported yet
> >
> > Is this correct?
>
> You are talking about vtl, right?
>
> Here's aftab azmi's vtl patch:
>
> https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/stgt-devel/2008-May/001610.html
>
> I've cleaned up it and my initiator can find a tape drive with this
> pathc. However, seems that this patch has several issues to solve.
>
> Mark's comments are:
>
> https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/stgt-devel/2008-May/001622.html
>
> I need vtl to just work on the tape initiator driver. I'll try to
> improve the vtl support but probabaly I don't have time to make the
> vtl support good enough for real usage.

BTW, I'll merge this patch unless someone is against it.

As discussed, it's not finished at all, but it's easier to work with
the in-tree code rather than out-of-tree code.