[Stgt-devel] disk kicked out of RAID -> tgtd segmentation fault

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo
Mon Jun 30 10:42:00 CEST 2008

ronnie sahlberg schrieb:
> Hi Tomasz,
>
> I could not get that configuration to work.
>
> Can you please provide more detailed instructions exactly how to set
> up hosts A B and C
> so I can try to reproduce it.
>
> Please provide the exact commandline for each and every command I need
> to run on the three hosts and Ill try to
> reproduce it under gdb.

A faulty RAID is just one way to crash tgtd.

A simpler one is to just block the traffic between the target and the
initiator - just login to the target, make sure there is some iSCSI
traffic between the target and the initiator, then block incoming iSCSI
traffic on the initiator with:

initiator# iptables -I INPUT -s <target IP> -p tcp --sport 3260 -j DROP

After a while, you will see that only one tgtd process is running,
whereas the second has crashed.

I'm not sure if the two ways of causing tgtd crash are related. If they
are, it might be some timing issue?

Failing RAID may cause that tgtd is not able to access the disk for
several seconds, or about a minute. Failing RAID is also likely.

Blocking incoming iSCSI traffic on the initiator, although less likely
in the real world, also confuses tgtd to the point where it crashes.

The above is valid with tgt-20080527, I'm just about to try tgt-20080629.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org