[Stgt-devel] [Scst-devel] Integration of SCST in themainstreamLinux kernel

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo
Thu Mar 13 18:42:54 CET 2008

FUJITA Tomonori schrieb:

(...)

>> target              initiator
>> -----------------------------------
>> not started         trying to reconnect
>> start tgtd          trying to reconnect
>> sleep 2s            trying to reconnect
>> nothing configured  login I/O error - non fatal
>> configure target1   conn to target1 OK
>> no such target      conn to target2 FAIL
>>                      I/O error to target2
>> configure target2   too late, fatal, we lost it
>
> You don't understand how to use it.
>
> 1. start tgtd.
> 2. change the system state to offline.
> 3. do whatever you want (create new targets and add luns).
> 4. change the system state to running.

Oh, I see now.
Thanks for the explanation.

(...)

>> Or, is it possible not to fail connections to non-existing targets, but
>> to answer that the (non-existing, not-yet-configured) target is
>> offlined? Or will it be against RFCs?
>
> I don't think so.
>
> BTW, as I explained again and again, IIRC, RFC doesn't say that
> initiators need to reconnect in your situation. Your scheme works for
> open-iscsi now, but it could be broken anytime.

Network infrastructure fail, administrator make mistakes, target has to
be restarted or moved somewhere else (i.e. failover).
Disconnections may and do happen.

I hope existing features will not be removed from open-iscsi.

And if other initiators can't handle disconnections - it's another
reason not to use them.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org